2.02.2007

Canadian Crusher Gets $4.5 From Twins


American League MVP Justin Morneau agreed Friday to a $4.5 million, one-year contract with the Minnesota Twins, midway between the $5 million he had asked for and the $4 million the Twins had offered.

Last year, the 25-year-old first baseman hit .321 with 34 homers and 130 RBIs, his salary at just $385,000. He has got to be one of the lowest paid MVPs in history, in comparison.

Minnesota also settled arbitration cases with third baseman Nick Punto and utility outfielder Leeeeeeeew Ford. Punto agreed to a $4.2 million, two-year contract, and Ford got a $985,000, one-year deal.

Punto, who hit .290 with 47 RBIs and 17 steals for the AL Central champs, will get $1.8 million this season and $2.4 million in 2008. Ford was a backup last year who hit .226 with 18 RBIs in 234 at-bats.

AL batting champion Joe Mauer remains to be given a deal; he asked for $4.5 million while Minnesota offered him a meager $3.3 million. Mauer's sweet swing was worth only $400,000 last season.

Out-fielding third baseman Michael Cuddyer and reliever Juan Rincon are the last two players to have arbitration hearings for the Twins.

Update: Juan Rincon settled for a one-year, $2 million contract Friday evening.

[Star Tribune]

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

i knew they'd end up paying morneau. i'm happier that they've come to agreements with nicky and leeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeew, though.

Sooze said...

Oh for sure. Mauer will get more than $4 mill as well. I hope - I mean, he deserves more than $3.3, I think. Leeeeeew's such a fan fave. I still push his T-Shirts. Little Nicky is a must-have, I'm glad he'll stick around for at least two more.

Unknown said...

The Twins sue got Morneau for a bargain, my lord.

Even though he is making substantially more than he did in '06, with his numbers, heck he should be getting double, if not triple.

The best of luck to you all, and to think we're just less than 2 weeks from Spring Training...

Sooze, I gave you some props in ym Super Bowl article for "Sexy Rexy", though I really haven't endeared to him at all...

Jason M. said...

Boy do I love Morneau's swing.

He won me my fantasy league last year when a guy dropped him to the waiver wire in May. Sucker!

Post a Comment