7.20.2011

Jim Thome is About to Go Yard and No One Cares



*except the good folks of Minnesota and Cleveland.

Of course, I'm a Twins fan at heart, but I appreciate each and every club in Major League Baseball. All 30 of them. Even the Yankees. So, if there was a 40-year-old man just four home runs shy of joining the elusive 600 home run club playing in a Marlins uniform, I'd still be way interested. But if the guy was playing for a bigger market team, would it be a bigger market deal? Would more people care? Would there be a Sportscenter countdown?

Um, yes.

If Jim Thome donned a Yankees, Red Sox or Dodgers uniform, it would be All Jim Jam All the Time, All over Every sports channel on television. Or maybe not... maybe people just aren't easily impressed by 596 career longballs anymore. Then again, he is batting just .208 with seven bombs on the season, one of which was like a million feet long, by the way. However, Derek Jeter just enjoyed his 3,000th big league hit (also a huge accomplishment) and everyone had a cow over it. There was indeed a Sportscenter Countdown.

Whatever. We're going to jump up and down and make tater tot hot dish when that towering homer launches over whatever fence it does while Dick Bremer goes absolutely apeshit. We're going to congratulate him. Because hitting 600 home runs is a big damn deal. Guess why? Well, for starters, only Babe Ruth, Willie Mays, Hank Aaron, Sammy Sosa, Barry Bonds, Ken Griffey Jr., and Alex Rodriguez have done it. IN THE HISTORY OF THE GAME OF BASEBALL. You think A-Rod got a countdown? You bet your ass he did. And I'm pretty sure it started his rookie season.

Maybe Thome just isn't as interesting a guy. It's not like he ever pointed to the sky and called a homer, made an unforgettable over-the-shoulder basket catch in the outfield later to be named after him, broke a color barrier, changed his skin tone, lied to a grand jury, had a video game named after him, or dated Madonna...

And seriously, I dare you to bring up steroids. No way on God's green earth did Jim Thome take steroids. He took his wife to see Oprah during an incredibly uncomfortable topic for crying out loud - that's the type of guy he is. A gentle giant. Who never took steroids. He's depended on nothing more than Miller High Lifes and hunks of raw porterhouse to get there, as the fellas over at Diamondcentric Apparel so eloquently explained.

So strap on your Thome is My Homey t-shirt, grab a beer, and start the countdown if you haven't already. Jim Thome is about to go yard and you better start caring.


Speaking of the Twins, I'll be on the TwinsTrain this September 9-11 in Detroit at the beautiful Comerica Park for two games. All you fellow Minnesotans, as glorious a place as Target Field is, should hop on and join me! I went last year and it was literally the most fun a human being can have in Detroit without being mugged.

20 comments:

Anonymous said...

F. Yes.

Megs said...

Sooze I haven't seen you go off in a long time. Well, not since your break-up post. :)

Anonymous said...

I love you.

KT said...

He i not getting nearly the attention he deserves for his accomplishments. A-Roid had a ridiculous amount of coverage last season leading up to his 600 career homers and he didn't even get there legitimately! I'm tired of this East Coast Bias bullcrap.

deborah said...

I CARE ABOUT JI-
I CARE ABOUT JIM THOME.

Unknown said...

I've been counting down for a looonnnnggg time.

Can't. Wait.

RFS said...

I'm still amazed by the loud ovation he gets when he comes to the plate. For hitting .208. But I'll admit I really like the guy too.

Anonymous said...

I'm from Cleveland and we still love him here. We are watching the countown and will celebrate with him when he hits that milestone!

Anonymous said...

He is a good guy.People just dont like good guys anymore. One classy GUY.

Anonymous said...

I'm from Philly and appreciate the time Jim Thome spent with the Phillies. He's a class guy all the way. Congratulations in advance for a great accomplishment.

Jacob said...

First, I resent that comment about Detroit.. even though I shouldn't, since I'm from there and that's a pretty true statement. ;)

Second, great article. Even as a Tigers fans, I respect Jim Thome and what he's done throughout his career. I too wish his quest for 600 got more attention!

Anonymous said...

From Chicago, Give them Hell Thome! You are one of baseball's best! Thanks for the years of entertainment! A class act. Go for 700!

TwinsGoddess said...

I care! I care enough for us all! INFINITY!

Anonymous said...

No one can be sure he didn't use steroids.

rivermaster said...

Never had the pleasure of seeing you live big Jim but have admired your game for some time. Atta a boy big fella

MN-Vixen said...

Let's make them care!

(PS - Had the absolute joy of watching him hit #596 at Target Field on Sunday. What power!)

Sooze said...

All you commenters just brightened my view of the human race.

Anonymous said...

Bert needs to help bring this to the mass media by swearing on live TV again, lamenting the fact that Thome should be getting the HOF attention for hitting 600 dingers that he so richly deserves!

Papa K said...

Well said... well said.

Eff the big market teams.

Fibla said...

Derek Jeter, great player,good guy. Something like 26 other guys with 3000 hits. When Jim Thome hits 600 Home Runs, he will be only the 8th guy to reach that milestone. Take away Barry Bonds, Sammy Sosa, and A-ROID, that makes Thome one of FIVE. I beleive a MUCH LARGER ACCOMPLISHMENT than 3000 hits. Fibla

Post a Comment