6.14.2007

I've Been Tagged


...not with the body spray that makes men irresistible, but some newfangled thing bloggers are doing.

A fellow Minnesotan blogger, (a super awesome one) Howard Sinker, from A Fan's View from Section 220 tagged me with a post about books.

I like books. Who doesn't? People who can't read? Those who went to a private school with scary nuns who hit them with rulers? Pssh. Of course I like things other than baseball! I have a life, you know.

Anyway, there is a lot to learn by a person just knowing what books they like to read - or so I've heard. That sentence didn't make much sense did it? In fact, the more I read it back the less sense it makes. Oh well, you get my drift. Here's my list, from the middle of the night.

1. One Book That Changed Your Life:
"Hells Angels" by Hunter S. Thompson. I read it before I even knew what getting shanked meant. So, I think that book is responsible for my (metaphorical) brass balls.

2. One book that you’ve read more than once:
I've read "Kirby Puckett: Be The Best You Can Be" as told to Greg Brown so many times, it's pretty much memorized.

3. One book you would want on a desert island:
"The Outlaw Bible of American Poetry" edited by Alan Kaufman. It's huge and awesome.

4. One book that made you laugh:
Ellen DeGeneres' first book, "My Point... and I Do Have One" - I seriously have never laughed so hard in my life over a book. It also brings me warm memories, as an old friend Emily and I used to quote it in our high school halls. Can I name two? Good. "Real Ultimate Power" by Robert Hamburger is a must-read if you like laughing so hard you want to flip out and wail on your guitar.

5. One book that made you cry:
Crying is for bitches. Just kidding. I cried when I read Charles Buwkowsi's "Ham On Rye". He's so ornery and drunk, it's just sad. Maybe it's a tie with Kurt Vonnegut's "Player Piano" which is the only other book to bring me to tears, mostly because it terrified me.

6. One book you wish had been written: Shouldn't I keep this one to myself, write it and make millions? Oh well. Someone needs to write a book on the life and times of my dad - the Barber, Fisherman, Pitcher, Counselor, Jedi and Father of Seven.

7. One book you wish had never been written:
"American Psycho" by Bret Easton Ellis. It's one of those books that you have to cover the sleeve with a newspaper while you're reading it so other people won't see you reading it, cause it's totally sick.

8. One book you’re currently reading:
"Catch a Fire: The Life of Bob Marley" by Timothy White.

9. One book you’ve been meaning to read:
"The Children of Men" by P.D. James. The film moved me and really got my wheels turning - I've heard the book is brilliant.

10. Six people to tag:
Here are six people who will surely thank me for pushing this on them. If even one of you does this, my job is done here.

  • Ian of SOX & Dawgs

  • Davey of Blown Coverage

  • Michael Rand of RandBall

  • Texas Gal of Ladies...

  • Jason of My Baseball Bias

  • Anthony of The Oriole Post


  • Now, back to baseball.

    8 comments:

    Anonymous said...

    So. If you learn a lot by people's books that they read, that could mean you're a lesbian-loving biker babe who smokes pot, loves baseball, rocks out like a ninja and is afraid of science fiction?

    Anonymous said...

    Great selections!

    Sooze said...

    Yarrr.

    Bass - you already know the answers to all that stuff.

    rstiles said...

    I liked this topic....I may have to steal it!!!

    I think it is interesting to see what people read....

    Sooze said...

    Consider yourself tagged, then.

    Anonymous said...

    Wow, Suz! What a weird collection of books.

    mikeski said...

    Like you'd need a body spray to be irresistable, Sooze.

    Damn, I'm suave.

    Sooze said...

    Unbelievably smooth, Mike.

    Post a Comment