Finally, a player in his mid-thirties satisfied with calling it quits. It's good to know when to say no.
Milwaukee Brewers pitcher Rick Helling announced his retirement from baseball on Monday after a 12-year major league career, aiming to spend more time with his family.
The 36-year-old right-hander spent his final two seasons as a reliever with the Brewers, going 0-2 with a 4.11 ERA in 35 innings last year, spending the first two months of the season on the disabled list with a sprained right elbow, then returning to the DL in early September due to torn cartilage in his left knee.
Helling went 93-81 with a 4.68 ERA for Milwaukee, Florida, Texas, Arizona and Baltimore. His best season was 1998, when he went 20-7 for the Rangers Helling won a pair of World Series titles with the Florida Marlins in 1997 and 2003. Said Helling:
I have been very lucky to play on some great teams. I've been very lucky to play as long as I have. I have no regrets.[Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel]

2 comments:
Helling...wasn't he signed by the Twins to a minor league agreement with an invite to spring training a few years ago? Broke his leg, then when he was ready to go and was to report to Rochester he decided he didn't want to play if he couldn't play in the majors. Left and signed with someone else's triple-A team. I'm pretty sure that's the guy...
Don't let the door hit you on the way out and all of that.
Yep, that's the guy. Pretty sure when he notes his reason for retiring as "wanting to spend more time with his family" he means "not being able to stay healthy".
Post a Comment