With a plain-old single up the middle, Alex Rodriguez kicked off a five-run ninth inning for the New York Yankees and earned his league-leading 100th RBI.
Not only was A-Rod the first to reach 100 runs batted in this season, he was the first to do it in under 100 games since nemesis Manny Ramirez in 1999. Other good company he joins are the likes of Joe DiMaggio and Lou Gehrig, the last two to pull off the feat in a Yanks uni, in 1937.
This marks Rodriguez's 11th career 100-RBI season and 10th consecutive.
Roger Clemens (3-4, 3.72 ERA) gave up two runs and four hits in seven innings, walking none and striking out three, improving to a perfect 6-0 against the Kansas City Royals in seven starts with the New York. The two runs came on a wild pitch in the fourth and a Ross Gload homer in the seventh.
Odalis Perez (5-9, 5.80 ERA) pitched... not well for the Royals. Over seven innings, he allowed 4 runs on 8 hits, walking three with one strikeout.
Hideki Matsui, Johnny Damon and Jorge Posada each drove in two runs for the Yankees, who have suddenly won 9 of 11 and have pulled within 5.5 games of the AL wild-card leading Cleveland Indians. They are officially 6 games above .500 for the first time this year, but remain 7.5 behind the AL East-leading Boston Red Sox.
In other Bronx news, Scott Proctor's wife had a baby boy Monday. Good job, Papa Proctor! Let's set fire to some

4 comments:
Now, if I may state a matter of (my) opinion in the comments section which may either be ridiculed or agreed with...
If I were the Yankees, I wouldn't make out with myself too much here, considering that of the 9-of-11 they've recently won, 6 of those wins came against the Devil Rays and one against the Royals.
The two crappiest teams in all of baseball.
The end.
You can only play who is on your schedule. History is filled with supposed 'top notch' teams that struggled against lesser opposition, thus keeping them out of the playoffs.
Ah Jack, being all realistic and whatnot.
I'm not trying to discount their success... yes I am.
I mean, Jesus, they lost 2 out of 3 to the Giants, and the Giants are TERRIBLE
btw, I'm a Giants fan too
Post a Comment