Probably one of the classiest guys in baseball, and the only Yankee I don't violently hate, Mariano Rivera, has brought his contract issues to the backpages of New York tabloids.
The 37-year-old closer for the Bronx Bombers has gone on the record saying "If they don't give me the respect I deserve, I have to move on." Yankees GM Brian Cashman said he's only spoken with Rivera once this offseason, and there was no mention of Rivera's contract after 2007.
Rivera is arguably one of the best closers in baseball, and in a market that is dry with good bullpen help, Mo could probably get top dollar from another team if he is allowed to become a free agent.
Like from the Red Sox....
[ESPN]

10 comments:
I've been saying this for 3 years now: I fear the day Mo leaves the Yankees
Oooooh, Mo to Boston? Wouldn't that just be icing on the cake that is the AL East.
First Bernie leaving, and now maybe Mo at the end of the season. As a Red Sox fan, Mo please leave NY and go to the National League or come to play for a real team in Boston. We need a closer still.
If Mo went to Boston, I might have to boycott ESPN for about three motnhs. Seriously, I don't think I'd be able to take the coverage.
First, Zambrano. Now, Mo. Is this relief pitcher revolt week? And I'd die laughing if Mo went to the Sox. Considering he's the wise sage to the crying Yankee kids, he won't be there to break up the inevitable Jeter and A-Rod slapfight.
Rich, I just wanted to thank you. I have had a horrific day, an even worse week (and its only fucking Wednesday) and that comment just made me snarf chocolate milk up my nose. I needed it:)
You're welcome, Miss Lizzy. I do what I can, especially when it comes to Yankee hate. :-D
I'd like to find the person who could argue that he is not one of the best closers. You might say he's arguably THE best, but I think it's safe to say he's ONE OF the best at this point.
That said, I do think the Royals could put together an intriguing package that includes our entire pitching staff and a lifetime supply of KC barbeque to get Mo on our side.
too funny Rich - LOL
I'll be sick if Mo goes to Boston. However, there can be room made for him in Baltimore.
Post a Comment