2.20.2007

Jim Leyland Shoots Back at Dmitri Young


Detroit Tigers manager Jim Leyland fired back at former Tiger Dmitri Young on Tuesday, saying the first baseman was "totally out of line" for accusing the club of treating him unfairly by cutting him late last season. He had this to say:
I'm not looking to have a bone to pick with anybody, but knowing what went on last year, for Dmitri to criticize the organization for lack of support I think is totally out of line.
Ah, I may be alone on this one, but Sam Elliot Jim Leyland is the last man I want picking any bones with me.

Directly from Young's mouth:
They were probably saving their own tail, because they thought that the whole court thing there was going to be a distraction for a team that was winning. I thought it was a little unfair on their part, especially because of the time that I spent with the Tigers and represented them in a positive manner. I would have figured they would support me in the same manner, but they didn't.

This positive manner in which he represented the team included an assault charge, treatment for alcoholism and depression, a divorce and hospitalization for diabetes. Obviously, the organization's doing. He was cut by the Tigers a month before they played in the World Series, having hit .250 with seven home runs in 48 games before being let go.

Leyland also said that he was the one responsible for Young's release, making it clear that the troubled player was not an asset on the field last season, and that [Young] needed to take care of some very important issues regarding his own welfare.

Young is in the Washington Nationals' minor league camp this spring and has a shot at resuming his career. Leyland, of course, wishes him well, "To this day, I hope Dmitri Young has his life intact, because he's a good guy."

[Click On Detroit]

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sam Elliot will play the role of Leyland in the sure-fire hit film chronicling his life story.

Post a Comment