2.17.2007

Cabrera To Arbitration, Peña Gets Deal


Miguel Cabrera and the Florida Marlins took their salary dispute to arbitrators Friday, with Cabrera asking for $7.4 million and the club offering $6.7 million.

The All-Star third baseman finished second in the NL last year with a .339 batting average, driving in 114 runs with 26 homers, making only $472,000. A decision is expected Saturday.

Clubs are 4-0 in arbitration this year, with four players remaining scheduled for hearings next week: Baltimore's Erik Bedard, Washington's Chad Cordero, San Diego's Todd Walker and Chicago Cubs ace Carlos Zambrano.

Update: Miguel Cabrera became the first player to win in salary arbitration this year when he was awarded a $7.4 million salary on Saturday instead of the Marlins' ungrateful offer of $6.7 million.

Meanwhile, Boston Red Sox outfielder Wily Mo Peña, who had been scheduled for a hearing Friday, agreed with the Red Sox on a one-year contract worth $1.875 million with an opportunity to earn an additional $100,000 in performance bonuses for extra plate appearances. In 84 games with the Sox last season, Peña batted .301 with 11 home runs and 42 RBIs.

[CBS News]< br>

2 comments:

Lizzy said...

I still cry myself to sleep every night over the bonehead deal that sent my secret lover Bronson Arroyo away. The affair was so secret not even HE knows about it...

Sooze said...

Did he swoon you with his guitar?

Post a Comment